February 11, 2019

Why do I need an enduring power of attorney?

A common misconception is that if you lose mental capacity your spouse, partner or children will automatically be able to make decisions for you in relation to your property and personal care and welfare matters. This is only correct if you have appointed them as your attorney in an enduring power of attorney document.
February 11, 2019

Will I need to pay for my partner’s residential care?

The thought of having to go into residential care when we are older, and having to pay for that care, can be a worry for some particularly when the cost can range from $870 to $955 per week depending on part of the country you live in.

A government residential care subsidy may be available to you if you meet the needs and financial means assessments.

February 11, 2019

Considering Retirement Village living? Here are some basics you should know.

The Retirement Villages Act 2003 was introduced particularly to protect the interests of residents and intending residents of retirement villages

About three-quarters of New Zealand's retirement villages offer licences to occupy, also known as a right to occupy or occupation licence. This type of arrangement is very different from your usual home ownership.